Today I did something cool: I attended the VyOS Users Meeting Japan #2 in Tokyo.
I clearly was not prepared for this meetup – my laptop has no stickers on the back of it. I think every presenter’s laptop looked like this:
Consensus is: we need some VyOS stickers!
We had presentations from six VyOS users & hackers. I was the only presenter in English and I know about six words of Japanese, so a lot of it was lost on me, but it was fun still. I particularly enjoyed the presentation by Kazuhito Ohkawa (SatchanP) about VyOS at Kauli, Inc. – he’s clearly incredibly smart, and an enthusiastic presenter. I also enjoyed the presentation by Ryo Nakamura (upa) about VXLAN – especially his slide about RIP Vyatta.
Yuya Kusakabe (higebu), the organizer, gave us a good introduction to VyOS 1.1.0. There were two more presentations which I had to miss – I had to leave the event early to catch my train out of Tokyo.
I gave a short presentation and demonstration of the build-ami scripts I’ve been working on, and a painfully long demonstration. During my demonstration I mentioned how the Japanese Vyatta / VyOS community is the strongest in the world, to the point where when years ago I read about how to make Vyatta EC2 machines, I found myself referencing a developer named j3tm0t0 who I had never met. He stood up – he was there in the room!
I showed everyone the Google Trends heat map which shows that Japan is the hot spot for Vyatta & VyOS users:
Special thanks to Yuya Kusakabe and Nifty Corporation for organizing this group. The Nifty office is very nice. Everyone, please buy Yuya a beer, and encourage him to host this user meet up regularly.
Update: due to requests, here’s an English list of the presentations given:
- 15:00 VyOS 1.1.0 and NIFTY Cloud New Features given by @higebu. No slides available :(
- 15:30 VyOS VXLAN given by @upaa. Slides all in English.
- 16:00 About vyos/build-ami given by me (@trickv). Slides (in English).
- 16:30 Case studies of VyOS in Kauli SSP given by @SatchanP. Slides all in English except for one.
- 17:00 Debian Jessie build environment, vyos-cfg-zabbix-agent, bug #345 report given by @hiroysato. Slides almost all in English.
- 17:30 NAT performance testing given by @twovs. Slides in Japanese + English.